The Design Committee works to enhance the physical appearance of the commercial district by rehabilitating historic buildings, encouraging supportive new construction, developing sensitive design management systems and long-term planning. As part of the Four Point Approach to Main Street revitalization, the Design Committee is responsible for the following:
- Oversees all possible downtown design activity: maintenance, rehab, new construction, signage, store windows, public improvements, traffic and parking
- Works with local design and construction professional to assure they understand proper treatment of old buildings
- Establishes financial incentives for design improvements, such as a mini-grant fund or a low-interest loan pool
- Partners with county and city government to oversee local ordinances affecting downtown building activity.
- Works with state preservation office
- Maintains downtown building inventory, in cooperation with economic restructuring committee
Florence Main Street’s committees are extremely energetic, organized, creative, and open to new ideas while reviewing old ones. Florence Main Street has many events planned for the next year and will need your fresh ideas and help.
If you have an interest or skill in architecture, design, merchandising, or just love historic properties, this committee is for you! We are always looking for new ideas and enthusiastic volunteers. Please contact us!