- This event has passed.
Downtown Christmas Parade
December 12, 2013
The spirit of Christmas is alive and you can help spread the cheer by joining in the
Florence Christmas Parade!
Florence Main Street is once again responsible for coordinating the Christmas Parade and as always, there are rules to be followed. These rules and regulations are to improve safety (following state laws and city ordinances) and provide increased enjoyment for participants and spectators.
The Parade route will follow Court Street from the north end at Rogers Hall on the UNA campus to the southern end at First Southern Bank (Alabama Street). Parade line up will begin at 6pm on Pine Street between Irvine and Cumberland Streets. Your exact time for line up will be determined by your placement in the parade. That information will be sent to you the week before the parade.
Please remember with the Parade line up being on Pine Street and ending on South Court Street at Alabama Street to arrange your drop off and pick up locations to match those areas.
The following are the guidelines set forth for the 2013 Florence Christmas Parade:
There will be awards for Best Decorated Float (Commercial & Non-Profit), Best Band and Best Performance Group.
- Each entry is limited to five units. For example, the XYZ club will be allowed five cars in their entry. When you register, you will be issued numbered permits that must be displayed on each of your units. If the permit is not displayed on the vehicle, it will not be allowed in the parade. Multiple entries from a group or club will not be accepted.
- Entries MUST be decorated or dressed to reflect the theme of the parade: Celebrate the Season; however, no one is to be dressed as Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus. Any float having a human Santa or Mrs. Claus will be ejected from the parade.
- Motorcyclists are required by Alabama state law to wear helmets at all times. Motorcycles which are not designed and licensed for public streets will not be allowed to participate in the parade.
- Alabama state law prohibits ATVs from public streets; therefore, ATVs are not permitted in the parade.
- Vehicles not allowed on public streets, according to Alabama state law or City of Florence ordinance will not be allowed to participate in the parade.
- Participation is contingent on Police Department approval.
- Horse units will not be allowed.
- November 29, 2013 (the Friday after Thanksgiving) is the deadline for return of entry forms and fees. This will be stated on the entry form and will be strictly enforced. Any late entry will be at the sole discretion of FMS, and may result in an additional $50 late fee being charged.
More information is available from the Florence Main Street office by calling 256-760-9648.